What is the IUI process?
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a very simple procedure in which the fertility expert will put the men sperm directly inside the women uterus, which helps healthy sperm and active sperm, get closer to women egg.
How does the intrauterine insemination (IUI) procedure works?
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a procedure in which an IVF expert will put men sperm directly into the women uterus around the time when she ovulates. The time plays an important role in IUI treatment as this will help the men sperm get closer to women egg at the ovulation time. With the help of this procedure, you will save a lot of time as it cuts down the time and distance which sperm require to travel for fertilization. It makes easy to fertilize women egg.
Before beginning the intrauterine insemination procedure, your fertility expert will give you some fertility medicines which help in stimulating the ovulation. After that, an IVF expert will collect the semen from your partner or a donor and will follow the procedure which is known as sperm washing in which they will collect a concentrated amount of healthy sperm from the semen.
After sperm washing, the fertility expert at will put the sperm right into the women uterus and pregnancy will happen if men sperm fertilizes women egg and the fertilized egg implants in the lining of the women uterus.
IUI is a very simple procedure and this is a less expensive procedure as compared to other types of fertility treatments. This procedure will increase the chances of pregnancy, but IUI is not for all as everyone’s body is different.
Benefits of IUI treatment
IUI is a treatment which is beneficial for those people who are dealing with the causes of mild infertility issues. This is a less invasive procedure as compared to IVF and the fertility expert can address the number of issues including issues with cervical fluid, ovulation concerns, etc. This is less expensive as compared to IVF and also a first line treatment to treat the causes of infertility.
Risk of IUI treatment
IUI is associated with a low risk which involves a very small risk of infection. There can be the biggest risks which can come from the fertility drugs used in this procedure. If your fertility expert uses gonadotropins then there may be a risk for developing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). There are chances of multiple pregnancies when taking gonadotropins. This is the reason that monitoring is important in the IUI procedure.
Success Rates of IUI treatment
The success rates of IUI treatment at the hospitals under Select IVF India is around 30 to 40% per cycle for the women under the age of 35 years and this will dip down to 15 to 20% for the women over the age of 40 years. Generally, IUI experts will not advise the women over the age of 40 years to undergo for the IUI procedure because the quality of women eggs starts declining and it became difficult for them to conceive a baby with IUI treatment. For them, she suggests the procedures like IVF, egg donation, surrogacy, etc.
Top 10 IUI Success tips to increase your pregnancy prospects
The following are 10 IUI success tips to increase the chances of successful pregnancy and these are:
- Proper Research: Before undergoing for an IUI do proper research that whether IUI is for you or not. According to the study, IUI is a first-line treatment which is useful for the women under the age of 35 years with good quality of eggs. So, discuss with your fertility expert before proceeding with IUI treatment.
- Refrain from male ejaculation: To get the best results of IUI treatment male member should abstain from ejaculation for at least 3 days before the IUI procedure as this will increase the semen which helps in getting a good sperm count for IUI. But keep in mind that you don’t abstain for more than 5 days as it can adversely affect your chances of conception.
- De-stress and control anxiety: High stress will reduce the possibility of conceiving, so do not stress yourself. IUI is a process which may lead to an emotional upheaval, but you need to keep yourself relaxed and calm. This will help you to make your body react positively to IUI treatment.
- Exercise: It’s good to have moderate exercise after IUI treatment. The fertility expert will suggest you avoid hard exercise such as running, aerobics, gym, etc. You just need to keep moving and not sit in a stationary position for a long period of time.
- Avoid smoking: According to the study, the women who smoke need more injections of gonadotrophins for ovarian stimulation and this will negatively affect the success rates of the IUI treatment. Hence, the fertility experts at the hospitals under Select IVF India suggest the women quit smoking altogether.
- Eat healthy food: Your eating habit will influence the success rate of IUI treatment. It is advisable to consume more protein-rich foods and cut down on carbs. In case, you are struggling with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome then by switching to a healthier diet can increase the chances of successful conception. A good and healthy diet is a sign of a better and successful pregnancy.
- Acupuncture: It has been found that acupuncture increases the blood flow and also improves the quality of eggs. IUI specialists suggest each individual whosoever is undergoing for IUI to start acupuncture at least 3 months prior to the treatment for a successful outcome.
- Take supplements: Find out about supplements which are good for you based on your diagnosis and also speak to your fertility expert before consuming.
- Intercourse after IUI: The fertility experts at the hospitals under Select IVF India say that having intercourse after an IUI procedure will actually help because, during the intercourse, your uterus begins to contract, and pushes the sperm towards your eggs and fallopian tubes.
- Be Happy: It has been found that women who stay happy during their IUI treatment achieve the successful outcome of the procedure as compared to the women who are not happy or stressed during IUI treatment. Your emotions can increase the success rates of getting pregnant.
For more information about IUI, you can consult Dr. Nalini Gupta, an IUI expert at Select IVF.